Sunday, October 16, 2005

Bali, here I come


Well well Bali.. I've always wanted to go there as a tourist. I've heard lovely stories about moonlight walks on the beaches, lazy afternoons by the poolside and seafood dinners on the white sands..

But I never would have thought that my first trip ever to Bali wouldn't be as a tourist, but as a journalist (of sorts.) Disclaimer: I'm not a journalist by training. My writing is crap. Heck, a Brenda Starr I'm not) I'm supposed to travel to Bali next Friday to interview the volunteers there who are busy trying to dish out much needed aid and to try and rebuild the community, restoring a sense of identity amongst the confused and terrified Balinese.

I feel for them. I really do. Another time and I would be terrified thrilled at the chance to do some writing about a proper cause or issue (not counting philosophy essays that I'm forced to do in school). I mean, there are only sooo many lifestyle articles like "Chill out with the latest cocktails" and "Coolest watering holes - Where to go to see and be seen" that one can write before getting brain dead.

HOWEVER

(as shallow as this may sound) flying to Friday would mean missing perhaps the biggest match of the entire season on Saturday - Newcastle vs Sunderland. Unbelievable timing isn't it? My first trip to Bali to do something interesting and mildly worthwhile for once, and it coincides with a day that I've circled on my calendar since the fixture list was released. Oh well... I guess there's still the away match. Howay the lads!



Sunderland's latest lineup struck fear into opposition hearts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home