Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Service Issues again

Note to self - just because a restaurant looks ultra hip, complete with its nice pristine white plate settings doesn't necessarily mean that a) the food is good and b) the service is good.

Just got my membership over at the Chinese Swimming Club so the missus and I decided to dine there at the ManZhu Restaurant. Apparantly, the owner wanted the whole glass window, zen-feel to the whole place, so you had the prerequisites like the nice sleek lines, zen-looking plate settings and minimal clutter. He should have spent more time on the menu, the food and the service. The waiters all looked as if they had dicks up their arses, walking around with the gloomy black faces that I only get when I suffer from constipation. ManZhu is also probably the only place in the world which sells "Olio Olio" (sic) pasta - its Aglio Olio Pasta my dears. For the price you're charging, at least get the names right. Oh and if you intend to charge that kind of prices, at least make sure the food is up to scratch.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not cheap. In fact, I'm quite the spendthrift. Jan and I go this nice little restaurant at least once a week. I think our record was going there 3 times a week for dinner. Not only does this place serve the second best pasta I've ever tasted (nothing beats Janice's cooking.), the service is easily amongst the best that I've had the honour of encountering in my life. I love that place so much, by our 5th visit, I had applied for VIP cards for Jan, Keith, his girlfriend and myself. See, usually, Jan and I like to move outside for a smoke and to finish up our drink after the food is done while waiting for the bill to arrive. The friendly waiter noticed that we were done with our cokes, so he proceeded to give us two more on the house. AFTER the bill had already been settled. We're on a first name basis with the staff and manager there and it feels like home everytime we go there. (But I'm not going to reveal the name of the place unfortunately - I like the fact that its quiet and few people even know about it)

2nd note to self - the fact that I personally enjoy a place doesn't necessarily mean that it would be a good place to hold an event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home